As you know, kids are so excited for summer vacation to start. They look forward to long days without school schedules. It seems like after the first few weeks, however, they say they are bored and want something to do. There are several on-line resources that can give you ideas of fun things to do this summer. Below is a list of fun activities your family can do together to keep your child(ren) busy, create family memories, and also be engaged in learning.
- Plan an A-Z scavenger hunt
- Schedule a day for a picnic and hike at a state or local park
- Interview an older relative to compare life then and now
- Make a sidewalk chalk mural – about a favorite story, movie, subject, etc.
- Play some outdoor games such as baseball and Frisbee golf
- Run through the sprinkler or go swimming together
- Cook together
- Plant a vegetable or flower garden
- Look at the stars and learn about constellations
Other ideas can be found at:
www.care.com and www.parenting.com
Enjoy your summer vacation!
Allison Schmidt, Superintendent